Friday, February 20, 2009

Bandon Beach - Oregon Coast

Bandon Beach


To view larger and in Gallery click HERE


Foam at Low Tide


Bandon Beach is about mid way up the Oregon Coast. What I like about the Oregon coast is how flat the beaches are. At low tide you can walk at times up to about 100 yards straight out into the surf and the water is still only knee to waist high. The surf softly rolls in. This is at "low" tide mind you. High tide is a different story.

Bandon is not only a beach but a coastal town. Very quaint and geared to tourism and retirement. I would like to do both.

The day before I left for this trip I came down with a raging cold so I did not have my "Man vs. Wild" attitude. The weather was hit and miss. There was lots of rain which gave good clouds but sometimes it was too much with constant rain and/or totally overcast skies.


"Sea Lion Cave"

Sea Lion Cave is the largest natural ocean cave in the world. The cave was found in the late 1800's when a sailor shipwrecked here and spent a few days stranded in the cave having to kill and eat one of the sea lions.

There was supposed to be about 150 sea lions here this day. It was pretty cool to see so many in one place and hear the commotion they make. Also the "aromatherapy" was INTENSE!! I can't believe the alternative medicine people have not caught on to this as the smell has got to cure something ;-)

It was actually snowing at sea level when I got here.

Use the first link above to see more of Bandon Beach and Sea Lion Caves.

More photos to come.

No comments: