Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dreamscape

Dreamscape

The Mist
click HERE to see photos larger in gallery


I feel very fortunate to live where I do as I can head over to the Mendocino coast in the afternoon, shoot until dark and get back home by 11pm.

Another gamble with the sky. There was the possibility of patchy clouds which is what I was hoping for but as I pulled into Ft. Bragg the high fog bank had moved in. There was this very thin sliver of clear right at the horizon that you can see in the above image and I was hoping as the sun set it would make an appearance and make some magic but it set too far to the left where it was not clear.

In the "Dreamscape" image above, I was positioned high on the bluff above Glass beach and using a long exposure, I tried to get the feeling of flying over the coast as if in a dream. Please view it at Large x3 in my gallery for full effect.

The "mist" image was my last shot of the night (9pm) and it was almost pitch black. I normally manually focus to get the sharpest photo but it was too dark to see enough detail in anything to focus on and it was too dark to use Auto Focus so I had to get out my little flashlight and manually set the lens on "Infinity" and hope for the best. This was a 30 sec exposure which gave the white waves that came in and out several times during the exposure the look of a low mist or fog and it makes the image seem as if it's not that dark. The small starburst on the horizon is a light from a ship in the distance. I was surprised how bright it was given how far away it was. Had to use the flashlight to get back to shore and on the trail back to car.

No comments: