Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Grand Canyon

Step into my Office
Right behind me it's about 1,000 feet down.
Photo taken with my 2nd camera via wireless remote.

Last Light

This is looking extreme west at Cape Royal which is the furthest point at the North Rim. It was good that I was able to spend 5 days here as I returned to this point for two more sunsets trying to get the best light. I got it on the first try.



The Grand View

There is no photo that can truly convey the Grand Canyon. When you are here, you can actually "feel" the expanse in front of you. It is absolutely amazing. This shot is from a ledge just below the main Lodge. There are two tourist viewpoint (with rails) on either side of me but I like the road less traveled and so I saw this ledge (no rails) and found the small path thru the trees to get to it.



Time to Change

I was hoping for lots of autumn colors but there was just a few here and there. This was a small patch of aspens turning color along the road to the North Rim from Jacob Lake where I was staying. I met a nice couple out here who trying to capture these trees as well. I hope their photo was good.



Over the Edge

to see photos in gallery click HERE

This is a ledge across from Angels Window which is a hole or arch of sorts thru a viewpoint area. The "window" has the tourist rails and again I saw a ledge where most people would not have gone. I found the small trail leading to it and thought it would take me right to the top but when I got to the formation, the trail stopped and it was obvious if I wanted to get up there I would have to free-climb for about 10 feet. That may not sound like much but when everything is sloped around you where if you fell you would tumble a good distance if not quite a ways and also the 30 pounds of gear on my back did not help either. When I got up here, I scared two condors that were hanging out. Magnificent birds. At Cape Royal there were six of them flying around.



Journey to the Center of the Earth

to see photo in gallery click HERE

This is a place in Nevada close to the Utah border called Cathedral Gorge and is similar to a small Bryce Canyon. I walked into one of the "slot" areas as far as I could go and then looked up and there was my shot.

Stay tuned for Antelope Canyon photos and Horseshoe Bend


1 comment:

Dianne said...

These are wonderful pictures. I haven't been to the canyon for a long time, but I used to live in the Southwest.I remember when the aspens would start to turn, so beautiful all the unexpected color in the desert.