Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mossbrae Falls

Mossbrae Falls I

Well I headed up Interstate 5 to the Mt. Shasta area hoping to get at least three areas photographed. I wanted to photograph Shasta itself as there was lots of snow on it's peak. Then there is a small lake called Castle Lake in which I wanted to hike up high on it's south rim as from that spot there is a great view back towards Shasta with Castle lake in the foreground. The third spot was Mossbrae Falls just outside of Dunsmuir Calif. Well...................1 out of 3 isn't bad, is it?

I got to Dunsmuir and found the parking area next to the railroad tracks and started walking the two mile path to Mossbrae Falls. The railroad tracks hug the Sacramento River in this area and its along these tracks that you have to walk to get to the falls. The majority of the time you are walking right next to the tracks and there are only a few spots that widen enough for the trail to veer off. Fortunately I was at one of those points each time a train went by. Two trains went by on the way there and one on the way back. Boy, were they LOUD !!

I had been watching the weather for the prior 3 weeks hoping for a good time to make the trip and it was nothing but rain-snow, rain-snow. Finally there was a 3 day break in the storms and so I took off. Since there was so much rain, the river was rushing pretty good and I was afraid I was supposed to cross it to get access to the falls. If that would have been the case I would not have been able too as it was rushing pretty high and fast. Fortunately I did not have to.

The falls are about 50' high and 150' wide. Since I was facing east when photographing them I was glad to get there early before the sun crested above the falls. Being here on an overcast day would have been good too.

Mossbrae Falls III
Click HERE to view full size in gallery

Mt. Shasta from Lake Siskiyou

My other two locations of Mt. Shasta and Castle Lake turned out to be just a scouting expedition as the weather was not agreeable. I got to Castle Lake and it was completely frozen over !!! I was expecting a little snow around the lake which would have made a nice addition for a sunset shot but did not expect a complete freeze. However it was neat to be able to walk out about 150' and stand on a frozen lake for the first time in my life.

Shots for Shasta also did not pan out as the clouds never let me see the snow-cap of the peak. The above photo was the only thing I was able to get. I sure wish that cloud ring around the peak would have dissipated. I'm standing in waist deep water in Lake Siskiyou for this shot as I needed to get out that far to keep the lake bank out of the shot on my right. I was standing here for about 1/2 hour. A tourist came over and took a couple photos of me in the lake with my tripod. He asked me if I was not freezing. I said it was not too bad once you get in. It only felt a little cool but when I finally got out my legs did not seem to want to work very well :-0 ............I guess it was colder than I thought.

Looks like I will be making another trip back up there for Castle Lake. Until then, wish me drama in the skies and awesome light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, good story on this shot. I just drove through Shasta in the heat of summer and it is really tough to be inspired up there when it is boiling hot. Regards. Craig