Monday, April 18, 2011

A New Beginning


A New Beginning

“The Troubled Artist” is a phrase or term that has been given to the idea that true creativity is often the product of a troubled mind. Most of us can think of highly creative people who were/are full of angst and pain, living dysfunctional and self-destructive lives. One of the more classic examples being Vincent Van Gogh who historians and psychologists say perhaps had clinical depression and bipolar disorder bordering on severe psychosis. Think too about musicians who come on the scene young and aggressively creative, spewing out hit after hit while their personal lives become increasingly chaotic. Then later in life they start to settle into “normal” behavior and low and behold, the hits stop coming. The creativity becomes vastly subdued.

Consider the difference between originality and creativity. Originality is the production of new ideas regardless of whether the ideas are useful. It’s more about quantity, whereas creativity places a stricter criterion on those ideas. The ideas have to be original but they also must be worthwhile or useful. Studies have been conducted where people are put in differing environments with the task of being “creative”. Those in pleasant environments were more prolific in original ideas whereas those in stressed environments who although had a reduced amount of original ideas, had a greater quality and uniqueness to them.

While I’m not wanting to run and chop off a portion of my ear and I certainly don’t think my life is dysfunctional (at least not by my own doing), I do feel my passion for photography is heightened when I’ve “got things on my mind”. When things not the best, I tend to pass up the happy, fun shot and look for that deep moody, meaningful shot. But wait a minute…………, aren’t all of Jeff’s photos moody……….? You’ve probably noticed I have not posted as much in the last few months as I have in the past. Sometimes life presents things that have to be taken care of and life, as in my case this time, sometimes throws a few lemons at you. But what’s that phrase?….. “If life throws you a lemon - make lemonade”! Well the above photo is my big batch of lemonade. TAKE THAT, LIFE!!!..................feeling much better.

This shot is from one of my favorite places in the Pope Valley area of Napa County. As I headed out on my daily 3 hour round trip commute from Lake County to Napa to my day job, I watched the clouds and felt I should take the back way through Pope Valley and maybe I could time the sunrise just right to be here at this spot. I made it with about 5 minutes to spare.

While I feel this shot is creative and very special to me, I know that all the many dud shots in between the good ones mean I’m perhaps at least semi-normal. So come on. Let’s make some lemonade!!!

Until next time, wish me drama in the skies and awesome light.

Click HERE to see photo larger in gallery

2 comments:

Roxanne Parrow said...

Always enjoy your photos and have been missing them lately. Glad you're back.

e. said...

I just now came across your blog and as I scrolled down, I saw this photo. Wow! This is an amazing shot!